Monday 5 September 2011

An opinion from the 'inside'

When I first heard that Quarantine Regulations were going to be reviewed and relaxed I thought GREAT! - albeit too late for my dog who is in quarantine at present having come  from South Africa. It was only later when I really gave it some thought did I realise the consequences  such drastic action could have on the UK as a country but worst of all on the pets/animals that it could affect. I am deeply disturbed to hear that the 3 months quarantine required in the future  can be served in the country of departure where there could possibly be no strict control over the required kennel procedures and necessary documentation for the pet to be exported and then imported into the UK.  I do not mean to generalise but just to simply point out that after having lived in South Africa for more than 40 years that it is common knowledge that money can buy you anything, a few documents would not be difficult - sad but true. I am sure that DEFRA are also aware of the high incidence of rabies in South Africa - we are only talking about one country here, there are many more to be considered that are also high risk.
Review the law - YES -    reduce quarantine to 3 months - YES -    3 months quarantine in country of departure - NO -   decisions that could be to the detriment of innocent pets and families - DEFINITELY NOT!!

It only takes one owner, with one pet, to bring that pet into the country with false documentation and possibly suffering with rabies, to be the cause of many innocent dogs being destroyed within a given radius... I would not want that on my conscience.
It is hard to see my dog in quarantine for 6 months   but not as hard as if someone were to bring a rabid dog into the country and my innocent puppy had to be destroyed due to someone else being irresponsible.
It was heartbreaking to put our dog into quarantine but she is being well cared for , we visit her most days which really helps so if it can work for us for 6 months then surely it can work for future owners for 3 months.

IN A NUTSHELL ....QUARANTINE MUST BE SERVED IN THE UK.... PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I thank you for letting me voice my opinion.


Lindsay Stott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked and discussed that the government should even be considering putting the health of the population at risk like this. If the system works don't play with the lives of humans or animals.

Anonymous said...

I watched a programme on BBC1 recently that showed the journalist was able to buy a Nigerian passport for $18. Not a forgery, but a real one from a bribed official. Yet now the government seems prepared to accept documents from places like this as acceptable. It's a joke, but at the British Public's expense.

It seems to me that the countries that have the most widespread rabies problems are also the ones where it is easiest to buy a fake document to allow them to come into the UK. This is frightening.